chevron in South Africa
Chevron is a leading supplier of petroleum products in South Africa, with a vast network of Caltex-branded service stations that make it one of the country's top four petroleum brands. Chevron South Africa (Pty) Limited, headquartered in Cape Town, is the country's third-largest crude oil refinery. It produces petrol, diesel, jet fuel and liquefied gas for the Western Cape and for export to other African countries.
who we hire
Chevron values integrity, trust, diversity and ingenuity as a company and in our employees. These values are reflected in our culture, which is based on partnerships, high performance, and respect for the people and environments in which we operate. In South Africa, Chevron hires individuals with education and experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Operations and maintenance
- Information technology
- Human resources
- Health, environment and safety
- Sales and marketing
where you'll work
Depending on your role, your journey at Chevron could take you to one or more of the following locations in South Africa or to one of Chevron's other locations around the world.
- Cape Town - Chevron South Africa (Pty) Limited's headquarters
- Milnerton - refinery location
- Johannesburg - office locations and terminals
- Durban - lubricants manufacturing plant and terminals
- Port Elizabeth - terminals
- East London - terminals
compensation and benefits
Chevron's compensation and benefits programs are highly competitive within the local labour markets. They are reviewed annually to ensure they meet the needs of employees living in South Africa.
Programs include the following:
- Competitive base pay
- Annual incentive awards when the company meets its established goals
- 13th cheque
- Educational assistance programs offering 100 percent coverage of tuition and materials
- Health care coverage
- Financial assistance plans and assistance
- Provident and pension funds
- Disability and life insurance
- Access to world-class Employee Assistance and WorkLife Services programs
- Flex-time work schedule options
career development support
When you join Chevron, you'll find a workplace and culture committed to your professional development. You'll receive support and tools to create your own career path.
Programs and tools include the following:
- Performance management system with employee development agreement
- Career development plan
- Online talent management system
- Personnel development committees
- Tools and assessments to help you map your career
- Employee networks, such as the Black Employee Network (BEN), the XYZ Network, and the Women's Network
- Leadership development programs across various employee levels, including new supervisors, emerging leaders, and managers of managers
- Competence analysis tool
- 360° and 270° Feedback
- Career ladder programs for various job families
- International development programs and opportunities
- Computer-based training
- Learning management system
community support and employee volunteer programs
Chevron is committed to supporting the South African communities in which we operate through programs that address local needs and socioeconomic growth. We focus on four main priorities:
- Education and training
- Support for small and medium enterprise development
- The arts
We are rated as a Level 3 Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment (BBBEE) contributor to socioeconomic transformation in South Africa.
Our employee volunteer program actively engages our employees in various community projects funded and supported by Chevron. Our aim is to build a culture of volunteerism in local communities and strengthen our employees as ambassadors of the company. A volunteer day is assigned to each of our community projects, and our employees are encouraged to contribute their time or talent by participating.
Chevron employees are encouraged to participate in volunteer days for the following Chevron-funded community projects:
- We are a funding partner of the Desmond Tutu HIV Foundation on a programme that offers over 2000 young people from Masiphumelele in the Western Cape, access to youth friendly health services. The centre also serves as a study and recreational facility for young people, as well as a skills and on-the-job training facility for six youth each year. This partnership with the Desmond Tutu HIV Foundation has been ongoing for a number of years.
- In collaboration with the North Star Alliance, a group of NGOs that provide public and primary healthcare services, we established a Roadside Wellness Clinic in Cato Ridge, Durban. The centre provides health services to truck drivers and forms part of the network of clinics operated by North Star Alliance across Southern Africa. Services include HIV counselling and testing, the treatment of sexually transmitted infections, TB screening, family planning and primary healthcare.
- Caltex/SAIIA Interschool Quiz - Annual event in Cape Town that brings together high school learners from diverse communities in the Western Cape to test their awareness of international affairs, how these developments affect South Africa's foreign and domestic policies, and the country's role in our rapidly changing world.
- Isicathamiya Choir Competition - Annual high school choir competition in KwaZulu-Natal that promotes the continued development of the age-old choral tradition of isicathamiya. Workshops are held each year at participating schools, and the learners are coached by mentors like Professor Joseph Shabalala of Ladysmith Black Mambazo.